Thursday, January 18, 2007

Desk Job Woes

So being on a co-op term affords a person a lot of time to do things like set up a blog.

I think at one point last year I had a blog that I was really looking forward to going back to, turns out either I don't remember what it was called or someone saw fit to remove it from existence. Either way the universe is consipiring against me once again. If anybody ever even pretended to have looked at that old blog and remembers the name can you please let me know, it turns out quarter life senility is rougher than I expected.

You'd think I'd be knee deep in research and policy right now, but really you'd be wrong. I've spent my afternoon contemplating how all people can be divided into three groups: Ice Hockey People, Blades of Steel People, and those without souls. In my entire life I have yet to run into a person who has played these games and does not have strong feelings either way. I really think for a generation of people it really defined how we looked at life. Kind of in the way that you either thought Mario 2 was a brilliant and unique game for its time or that you thought it was just a filler between the 1st and 3rd ones. I find Ice Hockey people fall into the former category, where as Blades of Steel people the later. Now in no way am I espousing this as true for absolutely every person, but I do find that preferences in early 1990s video games really is somewhat formative in the personality a person develops later in life. For example, I think that several games for the commodore 64 really were instrumental in my development as a functioning variably stable member of society. I have yet to be hit by a car as a pedestrian in my life, and I personally accredit that to Frogger.

Anyway, the point being that i'm not cut out for desk jobs, probably never will be. The discipline required to focus on something productive for 7-8 hours at a time still eludes me.

Schizz

3 comments:

caid said...

Some secrets for you Matt. First, no one actually works hard for 7-8 hours. Do your best to look busy and pump out maybe one to two hours of actual work a day. This is more than enough work to get by. Second, most people are really not cut out for desk jobs, just too lazy to do something about it. Third, if you meet people who the following two points don't apply to, they are probably weirdos.

Also, Calgary is good, work sucks, and my snurfing skills aren't progressing like I would like them to.

Laura said...

snurfing? looks like im an L-7 weenie to not know what that's all about.

im tickled you've returned to blogdom, dear saskamatt.

by the by,
i was all about blades of steel.

Unknown said...

if you're going to run a blog don't pull a laura and update it once a year